Follow the step-by-step instructions below to write a three-paragraph essay.
1. Read the four-paragraph essay FIRST.
2. While reading it, ask yourself the supporting questions below:
What is the topic of this essay?
What information is given about this topic in the FIRST PARAGRAPH?
Which paragraphs give details of the topic?
WHO is the main character (person) in this essay? WHAT do I know about the main character?
WHAT do I know about the other characters?
WHERE does the story take place?
WHEN does the story take place?
WHAT is the MAIN TOPIC of this essay?
Have I learned anything new from this essay?
3. After studying the four paragraph essay, carefully read its three-paragraph version to contrast differences and compare similarities. Compare similarities and contrast differences between the two essays.
6. Do you have sufficient information on your topic? If not, do your research. Then go on to the next step.
7. What questions should you ask to support your main topic? Try questions with WHAT, WHO WHEN, WHERE, HOW, WHY. Ask only one question at a time to see how well the answer supports the main topic.
8. The answers to the supporting questions form your draft. Read your draft aloud, break it down into three paragraphs using the example of a three-paragraph essay.
9. Edit for your essay. Proofread for proper grammar, sentence construction and vocabulary.
© 2014 Copy Rights Reserved at Online Tutor For English